Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The Birth of Baby Bennett

We had been anticipating the arrival of this baby for awhile. I had Jackson at 37 weeks, Ivy at 38 so I suppose it's only fitting that Benny came at 39 weeks. I was actually 39 weeks and 1 day when I starting having contractions. I knew these contractions were different because they weren't comfortable! They weren't necessarily painful, either, at least at first. They started Monday morning and about 4:30 that afternoon they started coming regularly - about every 7-10 minutes. They didn't last long, though... only about 30 seconds. But they were getting more and more uncomfortable. But I was excited that this might finally be labor and nervous at the same time that I wouldn't really know when I should head to the hospital. About 9:00 that night I went for a walk thinking that could speed things along. Eva came along with me and after about an hour I was ready to throw in the towel. Walking made my contractions come faster and stronger but as soon as I was done walking they slowed back down. I changed my mentality at this point. I thought I'd take a nice shower and try to go to bed. If I could get a decent nights sleep I'd see if I could get things going the next morning. Well, after my shower wouldn't you know, my water broke. Guess we were having a baby that night after all!! I finished getting ready, we called my mother in law over to watch the kids and about midnight we made our way to the hospital!
We got there about 1:00 in the morning. They checked me in at triage and monitored me for awhile and tested the fluid to make sure it was amniotic. It was and they were admitting me. I was dilated to a 3 and they gave me my IV and wheeled me to a delivery room. Shortly after we got settled in they called for my epidural. That went very smoothly and I was feeling very comfortable. They then gave me my catheter, checked me again (I was about a 4 at this point) and then left us to rest and hopefully progress! My nurse said she'd be back in about an hour or two to check me again and left us to rest. This was about the time I took my selfie and did all my social media posting. Good thing I got that out of the way because it wasn't long before things got real.   
Not too much time had passed, maybe 30 minutes, when I felt like I was having problems with my catheter (as in, I felt like I was peeing all over myself). So I called my nurse in to see if there was a problem and what was actually happening was amniotic fluid was gushing out with each of my contractions (which is totally normal). She said that while she was there she'd just check me real quick to see what I was at. And I was at a 7!!! Yikes, I had gone from a 4 to a 7 really quick. So she called my doctor (who had, luckily, already left to head to the hospital and was only 10 minutes away - divine inspiration I am sure) because it wasn't 10 minutes later that I was fully dilated and ready to push this baby out! So in strolls the doctor and about 4 contractions later we had our baby! 
 Baby Bennett George Munns arrived on December 9th 2014 at 5:04 am weighing 8 lbs 7 oz and measuring 21 3/4 inches. He came out with dark brown hair, perfectly perfect in every way with the Fernley webbed toes! 
 Daniel brought the kids that night to visit and they sure loved meeting baby Benny!
 And now we are a family of five!!
 I stayed until Wednesday night, anxious to get back to my other babies, but did enjoy my quiet, alone time in the hospital with this little babe. Smooching and snuggling and napping and lounging and loving on him.

No comments: