Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Camping!

Daniel convinced me to go camping. Okay, I shouldn't say "convinced" me because I love camping! I have only very very happy childhood memories of camping with my family growing up so I'm all about camping. (Side note - getting ready to go camping is A LOT of work!! Never did appreciate that when I was a kid, so THANKS mom and dad!!) But with an 8 month old? I was skeptical.

And it turns out my concerns were completely valid.

So the whole trip wasn't really a disaster. In fact the entire evening was so much fun!! We set up camp, roasted our hot dog dinners, Jackson ran around like a wild crazy child with his cousins, Ivy hung out with us by the fire. It was so pleasant. The weather was perfect! We had good company to chat with. It really was quite enjoyable. Until bedtime.

We brought a port-a-crib for Ivy, so at 8:00 when she was ready for bed, we put her down. That was easy peasy. Jack got to stay up late and go fishing with the boys. When they got back and he was a complete blubbering tired disaster we tried to put him to sleep and this is when the breakdown of our trip began. He wouldn't fall asleep, he woke Ivy up, he kept Ivy up, he finally fell asleep, Ivy woke up, Ivy's back asleep, Jackson woke up crying, Jackson woke Ivy up, both back to sleep, Jackson up again, Ivy up again, etc, etc... Every time I look at the clock I was like... Seriously??? It's only 2:30????? Why isn't it morning!! It was a miserable night. Once Ivy woke at 6:00 I was done and out of that tent! The morning was okay but it's never as much fun to pack up and put away. At least the kiddos took great naps the following day and had a good nights rest the following night. I, on the other hand, am sure that my bout with mastitis (that hit me like a freight train Saturday night) was a direct result of zero sleep the night before.

Lesson learned right? We can camp, but when it's time for bed... it better be in our own beds!!










1 comment:

Samantha said...

Sounds terrible. When we camp I always keep the baby (youngest) in the car with me. That way if they wake up they don't wake everyone else up too AND no one will wake them up. Better luck next time. And BTW mastitis is terrible! So sorry!