Thursday, September 27, 2007

Living With Rodents (and I'm NOT referring to Pico & Cocoa)

So, we have had a little issue with mice and rats. I know, it's absolutely disgusting, but our house has a crawl space and we think they live under the house and they come in through our broken doggie door at night because they love the dog food we leave out in self-dispensers. Usually, once we discover the problem, it's taken care of quickly but the rodents seem to be getting smarter and smarter and avoiding our traps. It gets tricky with small dogs, too, because you want to catch the mouse or the rat, not the pup! Anyhow... a few days ago we noticed droppings again (it's been a few months now since the last occurance) but haven't had any success with our glue traps. Well, the other night, Daniel and I were in our living room and we both see a mouse scurry across the room behind our TV stand. I grab a flashlight to investigate but can't find it. So I open the little door underneath the TV and there is the nastiest rat I've ever seen clinging to a speaker. I scream and run for the couch. The rat runs behind our ottoman - and then to our piano. So far we've pulled the TV stand out and the ottomon, now the piano. I can see it huddled inside the back of the piano and Daniel goes to get his knife. What is he going to do, stab it?? Get real. So we chase it from the piano, across the room and it's under our couch now. You know, Sandy will chase and kill cats and squirrels but would she help with this stinking rat? Of course not. I think she was preoccupied watching us scream and jump from furniture to furniture. Okay, so now Daniel is holding a knife and my tennis racket - ready for battle, a tennis racket? What is he thinking? He tells me to chase it out again. I do - he yells - and WHACK! He actually catches the rat with the tennis racket! Such skill!! I had to take a picture and now you can live the experience, too!
Here is our living room in total disarray!
Here is the amazing catch!
RIP you filthy little thing!

14 comments:

abbie said...

EMILY I MIGHT THROW UP.. but thanks for sharing your story. and amen sister on having no job.. that would be the life!

Shelly Hyde said...

oh my gosh... that is nasty. I bet you are so excited to get in your new house.

Jill said...

haha... you had me laughing out loud. I can just picture you squealing and jumping around. I would freak out. nice job daniel!

Bryn said...

Hey you!! It's been too long!! What a nice way to catch up with you with a story like that!! :) YUCK! I can't stand rats! I'm glad you caught that little sucker! You look great!

Jill said...

Who would have though...a tennis racket and a knife? Great catch Dainel.

kara jo haught said...

i think that is one of the funniest things i have heard... read all day! i really got a good laugh out of that. Thanks!

Tiffany said...

Remind me not to let Anna get on your blog...it's PG-13! Those are quite the pictures, I must say!

Samantha said...

Better you then me. Em....I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

Sarah said...

your blog is so fun to read...i prefer it over most of the other ones!.. maybe you should quit teaching and start writing or maybe it's just the fact that you lead such a fun and crazy life!!! either way, keep it up

Erika Anderson said...

Sick Daniel....but that is the reason Jett would name every pet we have after him!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome. Daniel is a manly man. I probably would have just thrown a shoe at it.

Leah W said...

OH MY GOODNESS I AM HAVING STEVE READ THAT WHEN HE GETS HOME!!! hilarious....seriously...good catch Daniel!

Dave and Mel said...

Em-
the same thing happened to us in Hershey!- but it was a mouse and we chased it, pulling out all our furniture and screaming (me not Dave) everytime I saw it. WE finally got it with a trap but I felt so violated knowing the little creature was crawling around OUR house! Speaking of houses- yours is so incredibly beautiful!! Wow- I am excited for you to get to move in.
Also, Dave once killed a bat with a tennis raquet in our apt. in Provo- nasty!
-Mel

MyR said...

FERN!!!! a ha ha ha! I was so excited to happen upon your blog from Bryn's and Jamie's and I am laughing so hard at this post. What a way to 'meet' Daniel. I will forever think of him as "The Rat Hunter." Who knew a tennis racket could be so deadly? I'm glad he saved you!

I'm so excited to see your face! How are you? Send me an email and I'll send an invite to my blog.

myr_d@hotmail.com