Tuesday, October 6, 2015

My Grandpa Fernley "Gramps"

I lost my grandpa last month. He had just turned 96 and had just celebrated 74 years of marriage to my darling grandma, also 96. I still almost can't believe he is gone. I am so glad I made the trip in May to see him since we vacationed in Washington this summer. I am glad he was able to meet Benny. But I also feel a little jipped that we didn't get the visit I anticipated because of Benny's seizure issues. I tried at the last minute to fly out to see him before he passed but I was too late. I just wanted to tell him how much I loved him, one last time. But I know he knew already. 
He broke his hip mid August. It was really all down hill from there. Although his surgery went smoothly, when you are that age and are off your feet recovering for that long, complications are inevitable. He slowly declined from there and almost an exact month later he was gone. He went quickly, easily, for the most part painlessly, and surrounded by his wife, children and some grandchildren in the comfort of his own home. It was really the way to go and the way he deserved to go. 
Benny and I were able to change our flight and attend his funeral. It was a beautiful program and celebration of his life. I enjoyed the time I spent with my brothers beforehand, talking about him, reminiscing, sharing what we loved most about him, what we remembered best. I stayed with my dad and Vicky and enjoyed their company and being with Benny. I was able to visit my dear grandma. Boy is she a strong woman! My heart aches for her now that my grandpa is gone. I hope the sweet message of the gospel of Jesus Christ will bring comfort and peace to her broken heart. How glad I am for the knowledge of eternal families. I know I will see my sweet grandpa again. And he will see me, and we will embrace and I know he knows how thankful I am for the influence for good he has been on me. 
Here are some pictures my dad and aunt sent to me over that last month and a few I took while I was in California
 Boo was an excellent traveler and no shenanigans this time! 
I took some pictures of some pictures in some old photo albums my dad had. It was so fun looking through them and seeing my grandpa in all stages of life! 

No comments: