Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Grandma Gerry

My sweet Grandma Gerry passed away peacefully on October 19th. Benny and I flew out to attend her services and I really enjoyed having the chance to be with family to remember her and reminisce and celebrate her life. 

My earliest favorite memories of my grandma are running around her garden in Wilmington. I remember eating the peas from their shells and finding worms in the cauliflower. I remember rescuing a baby bird that had fallen from his nest. I remember family dinners and learning to French braid on a beautiful blond doll head in one of her spare bedrooms.

In Palm Springs I loved picking grapefruit from the tree, slicing them just right and dousing them in sugar and having them for breakfast. Playing endless card games, progressive rummy and pinochle. Going to the movies in the blistering Palm Springs heat. Swimming until we had blisters on our hands and feet. Easter egg hunts in the yard. Dancing the polka at weddings or reunions.

And I remember the Christmas she got me white leather boots with tassels down the back that I absolutely loved.

She was a wonderful grandma. I was lucky to have her and I am so grateful that families are eternal. That reunion with my grandpa George was surely a beautiful one. We will miss you grandma. 

No comments: