Monday, November 9, 2009

Alligator Huntress

As most of you know, Daniel is big into hunting... and I am not. He is very diligent in trying to change my mind, and I do believe that I have come around on many things. I have handled, shot and currently own guns, which I would have never, ever thought would happened. I have allowed him to hang his animal mounts in his office which, previously, I would have never allowed anywhere in my home! And I try to be supportive of him when he goes (quite often) on hunting trips. But to actually hunt myself, no, I don't want to ever do that. I DID, however, agree to going gator hunting and Daniel was so excited. Here is my reasoning on this. If given the chance - a gator would annihilate me in seconds. A deer - not so much. Gators are a nuisance, dangerous and over populated. I tried to think of them as giant cockroaches - which I have NO problem killing. Deer - while their population must be controlled as well, can be hunted by those who want to - not by me. They are too beautiful. Anyhow, I was able to get 2 gators. This is how it's done. You first harpoon them, then drag them back to the boat and when they are close enough you kill them with a bang stick. Both of my gators were just over 7 feet and yes, their heads are being mounted as we speak. Please don't think any differently of me... I have just become a product of my environment. :)



11 comments:

The Fredericks said...

yay! how FUN! love the pics- you look amazing- and My brother Dave says "a lot has changed since I first took you two down Nova" :)

kara jo haught said...

I love it!! I agree I would bang stick a gator or a shark any day of the week. (both of which want to eat me). I just wish I could call my self a huntress...

Erika Anderson said...

you go, Em. Who had Jack Jack, or was he strapped in a backpack during the "festivities"!?!

Paul said...

all I can say is WOW. Daniel looks so proud.

Jill said...

That is crazy!

sandee said...

I am speechless......but also a little but in awe !! (:

sandee said...

.....sorry a little BIT in awe...

Jordan & Shanda said...

Ems...
1. I hope you're there if I ever am being attacked by a gator.
2. You look super sexy in these pics.
3. Thank you for opening a whole new world of "Emily went hunting, why won't you?!"

aubs said...

you RULE! I love it! I hate gators, they scare the crap right out of me! When we wnet to Florida Hallie wanted to hug and kiss all of them but Matt and myself couldn't ever bear to touch any of them not even with one finger. You're amazing!

Amelia said...

WOAH! You are officially the tuffest girl I know. And also ... "bang stick"???

Dave and Mel said...

love the latest post, but most AMAZED by this one-- you g girl!! I secretly want to do this sometime...maybe we'll just have to make a little trip down for Disney and Gators :)