Thursday, July 5, 2012

Fun Day Planned = Total Failure

Daniel had me run a generator up to a repair shop in Longwood for him last week. It's a solid hour + drive so I thought I'd do a little research and find something fun for the kids and I to do while we were there so it wasn't such a long time in the car. 
There is a park called Big Tree Park with the oldest known Cypress tree in the state called the Senator. It's a short nature walk to see the tree with a playground nearby and plenty of shaded places to sit and eat. Perfect! So I packed up a nice picnic lunch and was excited for our little adventure.
TOTAL FAIL!!!
 First of all, the park was closed. Wha wha. the Senator was struck by lightning a few months ago, caught fire and burned until it collapsed. Eek. Closed, locked gates. Shoot. I quickly googled parks/playgrounds but there weren't any super close and the kids were done being in the car. There were a few benches outside of the park gates so I figured we could park it and at least eat lunch. It was all down hill from here. We opened our yogurts and lunchables but neither of the kids ate them (probably were still full of the powdered donuts I grabbed for them for the ride up) and no trash cans. Shoot. Jack Jack what? You have to go #2? Of course. No restrooms. What keeps biting me? Who even knows but me and the kids were covered in bites. This is all within the first 10 minutes. Forget it. Not worth it. No fun. Let's get the heck out of here.
The drive home was pretty miserable but less miserable than the fun picnic at the park I had planned. We were all just glad to get home. 

No comments: